Vegan Blood Orange, Asparagus, and Radish Salad
I’ll never forget the first time I tried a blood orange. I was sitting at lunch in my elementary school’s gross cafeteria. My lunch that day featured a seemingly normal orange. I peeled it. To my shock, and horror, it was blood red. I sniffed it cautiously. It seemed alright. So I braved a bite. A regular orange! But red! What a delight. I went home that day and asked my mom to only buy the fun red oranges from then on. She did not (they weren’t that easy to find at the time). I never stopped loving them, though.
Thankfully, blood oranges are now much easier to find when they’re in season. You’re likely to encounter them at Whole Foods, Trader Joes, your local farmer’s market, or a slew of other grocery chains. Hurrah! Sadly, blood orange season is coming to an end. If you ask me, though, that’s all the more reason to go buy a bushel of them and make this salad immediately.
It’s a good salad. Filling, yet refreshing. And healthy to boot! Plus it’s got a blood orange balsamic vinaigrette that’s absolutely delicious. Seriously – biiiiig fan of that vinaigrette. Both the taste and color were a true joy to behold.
My final point in convincing you to make this salad is that it’s an easy to throw together weeknight meal. Unless you chop your finger off with a mandoline while slicing radishes. But if you’re not a confident mandonline user you can just use a regular old knife so it’s fine.
Blood Orange, Asparagus and Radish Salad
- Food processor or blender
- 1 cup Farro
- 1 bunch Skinny Asparagus Trimmed
- 2 Radishes (I used warermelon and honeydew) Thinly sliced
- 6 Blood Oranges (3 juiced for a total of 4 tbsp, and 3 chopped)
- 1 large handful Chopped Butter Lettuce
- 1 large handful Chopped Radicchio
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- 1 clove Garlic
- Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Toss the asparagus with 1 tbsp olive oil, along with some salt and pepper. Arrange it on a baking tray and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Cook 1 cup farro per the instructions on the package.
- Combine 5 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 4 tbsp blood orange juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Blitz until combined.
- Combing the farro, radishes, asparagus, blood orange slices, butter lettuce and radicchio on a platter and toss it with as much of the dressing as you'd like. Enjoy!
And that’s it! As I mentioned earlier, this salad is real easy. It’ll also probably be the most colorful meal you’ve had in a while. You’re welcome.
If you do end up making it, be sure to let me know in the comments or on Instagram! I always love chatting with you.