Usually, when you see passion fruit used in a recipe it’s either a sweet treat or a cocktail. But when it comes to food, I’m all for the unexpected! And also for a sweet and savory situation. I love those. Anyway, I’m excited to share this little gem salad with passion fruit vinaigrette with you! It’s tart, sweet, and a little bit spicy, and filled with roasted pistachios and sliced cucumbers and nectarines. Definitely more of a side dish than a main course, but I promise it’s worth it.
What kind of lettuce should I get for this?
This simple yet satisfying salad is made with little gems. It’s the only lettuce deserving of this passion fruit vinaigrette. Ok, fine. Butter lettuce or romaine work too. But if you can find little gem, get it. It’s something special. Perfect balance between soft and crunchy, and so dang pretty, too.
Can I use frozen passion fruit pulp for this?
While I definitely recommend using fresh for this recipe if possible, frozen will do in a pinch. Use 3 tbsp, or 1.5 tbsp per fruit. Just do me a favor and thaw it first. Something about an ice cold salad dressing just feels off.
Little Gem Salad with Passion Fruit Vinaigrette
- 5 oz Little gems
- 2 Persian cucumbers Thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Roasted and unsalted pistachios Roughly chopped
- 1 Nectarine Thinly sliced
Passion fruit vinaigrette
- 2 Passion fruits
- 2 tbsp Moscatel wine vinegar
- 1 Shallot Diced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- First, make the dressing. Scoop the flesh of the passion fruits (seeds included) into a jar with a lid. Then add 2 tbsp Moscatel wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt, and your diced shallot. Let sit for about 10 minutes, then add 3 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Close the jar and shake to combine.
- Add the little gems, sliced cucumbers, sliced nectarine, pistachios, and passion fruit vinaigrette to a medium sized bowl. Toss, then serve!
And that’s it! This little gem salad with passion fruit vinaigrette is wonderfully easy to throw together, and so dang good. If you make it, let me know in the comments or on Instagram! Hearing from you and seeing your glorious creations always makes my day.