The Best Gooey S’mores Bars
Normally, I’m not a fan of creating baked goods with junk food. From-scratch treats and processed snacks are already so bad for you on an individual basis that it just feels wrong to combine them. But every now and then I’ll make an exception. These gooey s’mores bars are one of those times. Because in order to make s’mores at all, you kind of need processed junk. And also because they’re absolute perfection. Sorry – I hate to brag, but it’s the truth.
If you’ve ever made Rice Krispie’s treats, the process here is very similar. Melt marshmallows and butter in a pot, then add Golden Grahams and stir to coat. I removed them from the heat, and then added a few other things, but you get it. We’ll go into that more in the actual recipe. Point is, these s’mores bars are so easy to make that a (supervised) child could do it.
Despite being an actual dream, these dudes are not diet friendly. As you may know, I’ve been dealing with gestational diabetes since the very beginning of my pregnancy (more on that here, if you’re interested). For most of my recent dessert posts I’ve come up with workarounds so that I could eat what I was posting. Well… I couldn’t really do that here. I did try a bite or two, so I’m not lying when I say that it’s incredible. But I digress. Part of the beauty of these gooey s’mores bars is that they can be frozen for later! Y’know, if you’re not planning on sharing them with friends and family, or eating the whole pan yourself within a couple of days. (And no judgement if you’re going with that last option. Seriously – I’d be impressed.)
Now without further ado, let’s get to it!
The Best Gooey S’mores Bars
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 5 cups Mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Golden Grahams
- 1 cup Chocolate chips
- 9 Large marshmallows
- 9 Ghirardelli chocolate squares (I used milk chocolate caramel and dark chocolate raspberry, but you can use whatever you'd like!)
- In a large pot, melt butter on medium low heat.
- Add 4 cups of mini marshmallows, and stir until melted.
- Add Golden Grahams and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Remove from heat and add in the additional 1 cup of mini marshmallows and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 inch pan that's either lined with parchment paper or heavily greased. Pat down with a spatula or your hands to create one even layer of s'mores bars.
- Disperse the 9 large marshmallows onto the tops of the bars. Then broil on high for 3-5 minutes, or until the marshmallows are nice and melty. Pull the pan out of the oven and gently press a Ghirardelli square into each marshmallow.
- Put the entire pan in the fridge to chill for about a half hour before cutting into squares and eating!
I promise you these s’mores bars will fill you with joy. Unless you hate s’mores, in which case why are you even here?! Just kidding. Kind of. If you’re looking for more tasty summer treats, check out these Cherry Limeade Coconut Popsicles or this Passionfruit Pudding!
And of course, if you make these, I’d love to hear your thoughts either in the comments or on Instagram!